Day 47 - VE Day

A lovely afternoon spent socially distancing with the neighbours, enjoying celebrating VE Day whilst catching up over cake and gin. I felt privileged they allowed me to move my chair in to the road a bit closer to their grass. Today is the first “proper” catch up in person I have had with anyone outside my own house, other than dropping shopping off and chatting briefly from the gate. Today was as close to “proper” as it gets in these times. We even had chairs and a table, imagine..... So VE Day has been lovely. For many reasons. A catch up with friends (who are also the neighbours), sitting outside in the sun somewhere other than my own garden, a reason to make more scones, and a perfect excuse to drink gin even earlier than usual at 3pm. 
But actually it’s emotional. I’ve seen loads of photos on social media about the war, and the bombings, and the loss of life, and the hardships faced. And I remember my amazing grandpa and all he, and many others, did for their country to give us the freedom (out of lockdown) that we all now (or did before lockdown) take for granted. My grandpa was captured in the war and spent 4 hard years in a prisoner of war camp in Japan. I can’t even imagine how horrendous those years must have been for him and the other prisoners. His strength of mind and belief in God got him through. And there were so many others living through the hideous war at home, doing their bit for the country, which so many people are now too, which is amazing to see. But then, no virtual communication with family and friends who lived away, as we have now, and loved ones sent out to fight with many lives lost, and the terror of nighttime bombings in our own country. Imagine sending our own children off to live with others, knowing it’s the safest thing for them, but not knowing when you would be reunited..... And I think of now, when desperate people can’t be with their loved ones when they need them most. And family members are sent to the grave with only a handful of mourners. And I feel so sad. 
But I sit in my sunny garden, with my early G and T, planning what takeaway we will get tonight. And I’m humbled. Because yes, this shit is hard compared to the life I had only a few weeks ago, but compared to what others have endured during their life time, it is nothing. And compared to many people fighting this horrendous pandemic now, my fight pales in to insignificance. The war, is obviously on my mind today, but also famine, disasters, absolute poverty, day after day for years. Our situation (those in lockdown but not effected by corona directly) is not easy right now, and it won’t be back to normal for a long time, but many others have had it far worse. Those on the front line fighting this horrible disease, and those suffering having caught it. I know many loved ones are being lost in this pandemic, and I am in no way making light of that. This is shit for these people, and I feel for them with all my heart. 
Today I count my own blessings (selfishly perhaps when so many are suffering) But I appreciate all I have right now, in this moment. And I look forward to all I will have again, one day. And I am in awe of the amazing people who fought for our country all those years ago, in battle as well as keeping things going at home. For six years. To give us the life we have now (or will again after this is over) And I salute the front line workers of 2020, in this terrible pandemic, for soldiering on, who will one day be responsible for helping life to get back to how it should be. I hope in 75 years time from now these new heros of today will be celebrated too for fighting the war we are in now. I am humbled. 

(Pic is of the awesome York Minster) 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - Universal Credshit......

Day 2 - Poo covered leaves